Churches of Yarmouth Town and County

Holy Trinity Anglican Church

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Holy Trinity Anglican Church at 61 William Street is the fourth Anglican church to have been built in Yarmouth. The cornerstone was laid on August 20, 1868. On August 4, 1872 the church was consecrated by the Right Rev’d Hibbert Binney, Lord Bishop of Nova Scotia. The Curate at the time, the Rev’d J. Roy Campbell, is credited for the church design. Father Campbell and the Rector, the Rev’d J.T.T. Moody, were influenced by the Oxford Movement (also known as the Anglo Catholic Revival) and the church’s design reflects that thinking. Cruciform in shape, a dignified sanctuary and chapel, high ceilings and lots of windows mark the influence of the Oxford Fathers and speak of the renewed interest in Gothic architecture that was in vogue at the time. Holy Trinity was the first non Roman Catholic church in Nova Scotia to display the Cross on the exterior of the building. The beautiful stained glass windows, the wooden carvings, and the abundant use of natural wood all add to the dignity and solemnity of the building and mark it as an outstanding example of church architecture.

Price: $15.95

St. Ambrose Cathederal

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

St. Ambrose Roman Catholic Church on Albert Street was begun in 1889 to replace the old St. Ambrose Church on Barnard Street. The first mass was held at midnight on Christmas Eve of 1889 in the basement and the church was formally dedicated on October 5, 1890 by Archbishop Cornelius O’Brien. The architect, J. C. Dumaresq, designed it in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. James E. Huestis of Yarmouth directed construction. Benjamin Ritchie, also of Yarmouth was responsible for the ornamentation. The parish priest was Fr. Edward J. McCarthy.

In 1908 the church was doubled in length from 75 to 150 feet: the back section of the church was moved backwards and two additional transepts were constructed. The left turret was originally much higher than the right – both have been shortened to be the same height.

Over the main alter is a magnificent stained glass window depicting the Ascension of Jesus. This was installed in 1927 and the other stained glass windows were installed from 1937 to 1953.

When the new Diocese of Yarmouth was created in 1953 St. Ambrose was chosen as its cathedral.

In 1995 the Parish of St. Ambrose celebrated its 150th anniversary.

Price: $15.95

Zion United Baptist Church

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Zion United Baptist Church, originally called the First Baptist Church, was built to replace the church on Main Street located near where the Cenotaph now stands. On July 18, 1895 the cornerstone was laid and on June 17, 1896 the church was dedicated. The pastor was Rev. J. H. Foshay.

The church was built by James E. Huestis of Yarmouth in “Modern Composite” style. Over the years the large rose windows and the stained glass windows were donated by parishioners as memorials to loved ones.

From 1906 on when the Baptists and Free Baptists united, the church was known as Zion United Baptist Church.

It was this congregation which in the nineteenth century helped establish several Baptist churches in Yarmouth Town and County, thus Zion United Baptist Church is regarded as the mother church of the area. In 1997 the congregation celebrated its 200th anniversary.

Price: $15.95