Yarmouth, N.S. Pewter Ornaments

Yarmouth, N.S. Pewter Ornaments
Pages: 1 2 3Next >Last »

Argyle Township Court House & Gaol

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a brief history of the landmark.

Argyle Township & Gaol, located in the centre of the village of Tusket, Nova Scotia, is Canada’s oldest standing courthouse. The first court session was held here in October 1805. The most famous trial to take place in this courthouse was the murder trial of Omar P. Roberts in 1922. He was the last man to be hanged in Yarmouth County, for the murder of his housekeeper, Flora Gray. This building continued to be used as a courthouse and the Municipal Office for the Municipality of Argyle until 1976. The building was rescued from dereliction and potential demolition by three private citizens in 1982. A restored courthouse was reopened in 1983 as a museum, historic site and archives. Since that time the building has been cared for by its owners, the Municipality of Argyle, and an active Historical Society dedicated to the preservation of this important landmark.

Price: $14.95

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Western Branch – Yarmouth

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

This handsome building at 341 Main Street was constructed in 1912-1913 as the Royal Bank of Canada’s Yarmouth branch (1913 – 1979). It is a two storey Victorian  Commercial style building with a granite and sandstone facade. On the west and the south sides it has large segmented arched bays with Corinthian keystone trim, pilasters with Corinthian capitals and is topped by a classic cornice with dental trim.

From 1979 on the building was occupied by a variety of small businesses until 1997 when it was bought by the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Western Branch – Yarmouth was officially opened on May 28, 2006. It is the first satellite gallery of any provincial art gallery in Canada. The interior has been entirely renovated and along with a wooden addition at the back of the original building now includes the Main Gallery as well as individual galleries for contemporary art, historic art, folk art, works on paper and ceramics. Works are from the Permanent Collection of the AGNS. In its present use as part of the AGNS this fine building continues as a Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark.

 

Price: $14.95

Churchill Mansion

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Built in 1889-90 as a summer residence for Captain Aaron Flint Churchill, and originally called “Anchorage”, this imposing Italianate style house overlooks Darling’s Lake. Aaron Flint Churchill was one of Yarmouth County’s most prominent native sons. At age16 he became a hero by jury-rigging a rudder on the vessel “Research” eight times in a November, 1866 gale at sea to bring the ship safely to port. Both he and his uncle, George Churchill, the ship’s captain, were recognized for the feat with gifts from Lloyd’s of London. By the time Aaron was 21, he had become a sea captain, and at age 24 he quit the sea and opened a stevedoring business at Savannah, Georgia. Later he established the Churchill line of steamships there, and also gained a reputation as an inventor. One of his inventions was a cotton bailing press. By the early 1900’s he was one of the most prominent businessmen, and one of the wealthiest Canadians, in the United States. After his death in 1920 the house remained in the Churchill family until 1971. This registered heritage property was for many years operated as a country inn known as “Churchill Mansion”. With its wealth of history it has long been a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark”.

Price: $14.95

Firefighters’ Museum of Nova Scotia

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a brief history of the landmark.

The Firefighters’ Museum of Nova Scotia is located at 451 Main St., Yarmouth, N.S. It is the only museum in Canada dedicated to the early years of firefighting history. A two storey Italianate style industrial building of concrete and concrete block construction, it was erected in 1915 as an automobile garage. Over the years it has housed Trefry’s Garage (1926 – 1030), Main Street Garage (1930 – 1935), and Motor Mart, Ltd. (1935 – 1940, 1946 – 1954, 1955 – 1972).

The Museum itself had its beginnings in the early 1920’s when the late Ken Allen started collecting discarded fire engines, books, pictures, etc. An earlier location of the Museum was in a portion of the Yarmouth North Fire Station with members of Naiad Fire Co. of the Yarmouth Fire Dept. acting as attendants. The Museum moved into this present location in 1974 after becoming part of the Nova Scotia Museum in 1968.

The Museum houses an extensive collection dating from an 1819 Hopwood & Tilley Hand Pumper to a 1935 Chevrolet Bickle Pumper (in which visitors are allowed to sit and have their pictures taken.) Among their most popular displays are the oldest surviving steamer in Canada, the 1863 Amoskeag Steamer, and the hand grenade fire extinguishers. The Museum is open on a year round basis.

Price: $14.95

Frost Park

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a brief history of the landmark.

This beautiful little park in the centre of Yarmouth began as the first burial ground in the town with its earliest burial being in 1766.The first church in the town, the Forchu Meeting House, built in 1784 was directly opposite. It continued to be used as a burial ground until 1865. It becameVictoria Park in 1887 in honour of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee with a fountain placed in the centre and walkways and benches surrounding it. Some of the headstones were moved at this time. In 1893 the land became the property of the Town of Yarmouth. Victoria Park was renamed Frost Park in 1958 in honour of Yarmouth County native, Sydney Frost, who at that time was President of the Bank of Nova Scotia. A new fountain designed in the Victorian manner now graces the centre of the park, a modern look-off  faces the harbour, and a gazebo sits on the north side. Flowering shrubs line the walkways. Frost Park continues to be a well known and appreciated Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark and is a delight to visit and enjoy.

Price: $14.95

Killam Brothers

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

This building, located at 90 Water Street, is considered to be the oldest shipping office in Canada. It was built in the Colonial Revival style probably around 1835 as part of the shipping business of David and Wallace Flint. From 1857 on it housed the Killam family’s businesses which included a ship chandlery, a shipyard, trading, ship brokerage, wholesaling, retailing and marine insurance. Killam Brothers were one of the largest dealers in hard and soft coal in western Nova Scotia. They were the selling agents for the Yarmouth Duck and Yarn Company. Five generations of Killams operated businesses in Yarmouth from 1788 to 1991 when Robert Killam dissolved the Killam Brothers Company.

In 2000 – 2001 the building, presently owned by the Yarmouth Waterfront Development Corporation Limited, was fully renovated including restoration of its original octagonal cupola and three front dormers. It houses the Killam Brothers Shipping Office which is maintained as a museum. The majority of the building is operated as an art and crafts retail centre along with workshops and studios. Killam Brothers is an integral part of the Yarmouth waterfront restoration and is a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark”.

Price: $14.95

Lewis Fountain (South End Fountain)

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

1876 was the year Yarmouth had the most shipping per capita of any town in the world. It was in this era when the firm of H. & N. B. Lewis prospered as ship owners and chandlers from their business on the wharf below Argyle Street. They also had a business at the intersection of Argyle and Main Streets, known as Moody’s Corner, and it was here in the centre of Argyle Street that the Lewis Fountain was installed.

Designed by J.L. Mott of New York it featured eight hooded dog’s heads, large bowls for horses and cattle, smaller bowls (now gone) for cats and dogs, a bronze engraved plaque and a large decorative bronze vase on top. The inscription reads: “Presented to the Town of Yarmouth by Nathan B. Lewis and wife, May1st, 1895”. His wife was Adeline Cann.

During World War II the fountain was removed presumably to be used for scrap metal but due to the determined efforts of Rachel (Benham) Lewis, wife of Nathan Lewis’s nephew, H.K. Lewis, it was eventually returned. It has been moved to the parking lot on the northeast corner of the street for its own protection. It stands as a reminder of that prosperous era, a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark”.

Price: $14.95

Milton Clock Tower

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Erected in 1911 at a cost of $1200.00, the original Milton Clock was donated by Mrs. Robert Caie. The mechanical works of the clock were manufactured by J. Smith and Sons, Midland Clock Works, Derby, England. Located in the tower at Milton Engine Company fire station, the clock was a local landmark until the station was destroyed by fire in 1989. The original clockworks were damaged in the fire. The clock in this contemporary tower located on Water Street, Yarmouth, N.S. towards the head of Yarmouth Harbour contains the original painted metal clock faces salvaged from the fire. These have been mounted in front of an electronic movement. The clock hands are replicas of the hands used with the original clockworks. The community name Milton originates from the presence of a cluster of water-powered grist, saw, and carding mills situated where Lake Milo empties into Yarmouth Harbour. Source: interpretative panel, Milton Clock Tower-Park

Price: $14.95

Milton Horse Fountain

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Located at the corner of Main Street and Vancouver Street in the north end of Yarmouth known as Milton, the fountain was commissioned by Clara Killam, a Yarmouth resident, and designed by J.L. Mott of New York.  The cast iron fountain was installed on May 20, 1893.  Originally it had two drinking troughs for horses and cattle with four smaller troughs lower down for smaller animals.   For thirsty passers-by there were attached cups with drinking faucets where water flowed continuously from the mouths of molded dogs heads.

Today, more than a century later, flowers are planted in the troughs by the Milton Improvement Society which takes great pride in the care of the fountain – a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark“.

Price: $14.95

Murray Manor

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

This home in the English Cottage style with Gothic and Classical features was named after Ann and James Murray who lived there from 1854 to 1899. Ann’s uncle, George Bond, built it sometime between 1825 and 1832.

It has a bell-hipped roof and lovely Gothic windows on the first floor with prayer windows above (so low one has to kneel to see out).

In recent years it has been maintained as a bed and breakfast. It is one of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia’s landmarks.

Price: $14.95

Pages: 1 2 3Next >Last »