Each pewter ornament (2 3/8" dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.
Built in 1889-90 as a summer residence for Captain Aaron Flint Churchill, and originally called “Anchorage”, this imposing Italianate style house overlooks Darling’s Lake. Aaron Flint Churchill was one of Yarmouth County’s most prominent native sons. At age16 he became a hero by jury-rigging a rudder on the vessel “Research” eight times in a November, 1866 gale at sea to bring the ship safely to port. Both he and his uncle, George Churchill, the ship’s captain, were recognized for the feat with gifts from Lloyd’s of London. By the time Aaron was 21, he had become a sea captain, and at age 24 he quit the sea and opened a stevedoring business at Savannah, Georgia. Later he established the Churchill line of steamships there, and also gained a reputation as an inventor. One of his inventions was a cotton bailing press. By the early 1900’s he was one of the most prominent businessmen, and one of the wealthiest Canadians, in the United States. After his death in 1920 the house remained in the Churchill family until 1971. This registered heritage property was for many years operated as a country inn known as “Churchill Mansion”. With its wealth of history it has long been a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark”.