Each pewter ornament (2 3/8" dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a brief history of the landmark.
The Firefighters' Museum of Nova Scotia is located at 451 Main St., Yarmouth, N.S. It is the only museum in Canada dedicated to the early years of firefighting history. A two storey Italianate style industrial building of concrete and concrete block construction, it was erected in 1915 as an automobile garage. Over the years it has housed Trefry's Garage (1926 - 1030), Main Street Garage (1930 - 1935), and Motor Mart, Ltd. (1935 - 1940, 1946 - 1954, 1955 - 1972).
The Museum itself had its beginnings in the early 1920's when the late Ken Allen started collecting discarded fire engines, books, pictures, etc. An earlier location of the Museum was in a portion of the Yarmouth North Fire Station with members of Naiad Fire Co. of the Yarmouth Fire Dept. acting as attendants. The Museum moved into this present location in 1974 after becoming part of the Nova Scotia Museum in 1968.
The Museum houses an extensive collection dating from an 1819 Hopwood & Tilley Hand Pumper to a 1935 Chevrolet Bickle Pumper (in which visitors are allowed to sit and have their pictures taken.) Among their most popular displays are the oldest surviving steamer in Canada, the 1863 Amoskeag Steamer, and the hand grenade fire extinguishers. The Museum is open on a year round basis.