Each pewter ornament (2 3/8" dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.
This building, located at 90 Water Street, is considered to be the oldest shipping office in Canada. It was built in the Colonial Revival style probably around 1835 as part of the shipping business of David and Wallace Flint. From 1857 on it housed the Killam family’s businesses which included a ship chandlery, a shipyard, trading, ship brokerage, wholesaling, retailing and marine insurance. Killam Brothers were one of the largest dealers in hard and soft coal in western Nova Scotia. They were the selling agents for the Yarmouth Duck and Yarn Company. Five generations of Killams operated businesses in Yarmouth from 1788 to 1991 when Robert Killam dissolved the Killam Brothers Company.
In 2000 – 2001 the building, presently owned by the Yarmouth Waterfront Development Corporation Limited, was fully renovated including restoration of its original octagonal cupola and three front dormers. It houses the Killam Brothers Shipping Office which is maintained as a museum. The majority of the building is operated as an art and crafts retail centre along with workshops and studios. Killam Brothers is an integral part of the Yarmouth waterfront restoration and is a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark”.