Each pewter ornament (2 3/8" dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.
Located at the corner of Main Street and Vancouver Street in the north end of Yarmouth known as Milton, the fountain was commissioned by Clara Killam, a Yarmouth resident, and designed by J.L. Mott of New York. The cast iron fountain was installed on May 20, 1893. Originally it had two drinking troughs for horses and cattle with four smaller troughs lower down for smaller animals. For thirsty passers-by there were attached cups with drinking faucets where water flowed continuously from the mouths of molded dogs heads.Today, more than a century later, flowers are planted in the troughs by the Milton Improvement Society which takes great pride in the care of the fountain - a "Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark".