The Old Grand Hotel

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8" dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

When it opened on the 2nd of July, 1894 the old Grand Hotel was described as the finest hotel in the Maritime Provinces. Located on the corner of Main and Grand Streets, it was a three storey brick building with a mansard roof and electric lighting. The building was constructed by Rhodes, Curry & Co. of Amherst.

George W. Kenny, the manager from 1921 - 1966, had many improvements made: private baths, a larger drawing room, telephones in each room and a large sunroom. During his management the fire in the fireplace of the main lobby was never allowed to go out and was kept burning day and night, Winter and Summer.

It was believed the writer Meredith Wilson wrote the well-known Christmas carol "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" while staying there.

Radio Station CJLS operated from the top floor of the Grand for its first three or four years. The Grand was also the headquarters for the International Tuna Cup Match from the 1930's to the mid 1970's.

The old Grand closed its doors on September 30,1966 and was dismantled and replaced with the current Grand Hotel. Many of the artifacts from the auction can be found in homes throughout the County and several houses were built using the bricks.

The old Grand Hotel was a Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark that is remembered fondly by many of its citizens and visitors.

 

Price: $15.95