Yarmouth County Academy

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8" dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Originally built in 1869 as the home of  Captain John Killam Ryerson at a cost of$35,000, this building was considered at the time to be one of the grandest homes in the province. In Second Empire style the building featured frescoed ceilings executed by German craftsmen, fireplaces of Italian marble, paneled wainscoting and a broad, handsome stairway curving up three stories to a cupola. Captain Ryerson served as Yarmouth’s elected representative to the first local Assembly formed after Confederation. He died in 1890.

In 1898 the home was purchased by the School commissioners for $8,000.00 and it became the Yarmouth County Academy. In 1899 the school opened with classrooms occupied by High School and Primary classes. Classes in Manual Training and Domestic Science and a Commercial Department were added over theyears. As enrollment increased in High School (grades 9 to 12), Primary classes were moved out. On February 20, 1949 the building was completely destroyed by fire. At the time approximately 330 pupils were enrolled.

The present Yarmouth Consolidated Memorial High School, another in our series of Yarmouth, N.S. Landmarks, was built on the site and opened the following year.

Price: $15.95