The Runic Stone – 2013 Yarmouth Landmark Ornament

At The Sign of the Whale Gallery » Crafts » Yarmouth, N.S. Pewter Ornaments » The Runic Stone - 2013 Yarmouth Landmark Ornament

Fact or fiction, since its discovery in 1812 the Yarmouth Runic Stone has always been a curiosity and a subject of scholastic debate.  The 400 pound stone with 13 characters incised on its flat face was found by Dr. Richard Fletcher on his land near the Chegoggin Flats on the western side of Yarmouth Harbour. Are the marks natural or man-made? Experts disagree. A popular theory has been that they were Norse. Two translations exist: “Hako spoke to his men.” (1875) and “Leif to Eric raises (this monument)” (1934). These have lead to speculation that Leif Eriksson came as far south as Nova Scotia on his North American voyage c. 1000 AD, but various reputable scholars have denied Norse origins. It has been ascertained that the stone is local. Dr. Fletcher’s own family speculated he contrived it as a practical joke.

In the early 20th century  the stone was sent to Norway for exhibition, from there to England for authentication and finally returned home to Yarmouth. It has been the subject of numerous books and papers. In the 1960’s it was granted to the Yarmouth County Historical Society. Today it is on display at the Yarmouth County Museum at 22 Collins Street where visitors are welcome to examine it for themselves.

Price: $15.95