Yarmouth, N.S. Pewter Ornaments

Yarmouth, N.S. Pewter Ornaments

Yarmouth County Museum

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

The Yarmouth County Museum at 22 Collins Street was built in 1892-93 of Shelburne County granite with Milford Simms & Son and E.B. Churchill & Burton as general contractors. The building was originally constructed as the Tabernacle Congregational Church. In 1925 the congregation joined the United Church of Canada and the building was later known as Central United Church. In 1967 it joined with Wesley United Church in its new location on Beacon Street. The Yarmouth County Historical Society which had been in operation since 1935 purchased the building and opened the doors of the new Yarmouth County Museum on June 9, 1969.

This substantial building provides a handsome setting for the Museum’s outstanding collections. This award winning museum is a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark”.

Price: $14.95

Yarmouth High School

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a brief history of the landmark.

The Yarmouth Consolidated Memorial HighSchool was officially opened on August 15,1950 by The Honorable Angus L. MacDonald,Premier of Nova Scotia. The corner stonenames Eric H. Spinney as Chairman of theSchool Board, Leslie R. Fairn as the architect,and Kenney construction as the builders. Thefirst principal was R.H. Murray; the vice-principal was John Robbins.

The red brick building sits atop “EducationHill” near the site of the Yarmouth Academywhich had burned down on February 20, 1949.The new school with a Georgian style façadewas built in a H shape. It boasted one of thelargest gym-auditoriums of its time in NovaScotia, 13 classrooms, 3 laboratories, a library,Home Economics room, wood working shops, and a cafeteria.

In 1987 a twelve room addition with labs was built.

Having served as the high school for bothYarmouth Town and County and the venue formany concerts and public meetings for a halfcentury, the Y.C.M.H.S. is a well known “Yarmouth, N. S. Landmark”.

Price: $14.95

Yarmouth Light

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

The present Yarmouth Light at Cape Forchu overlooking the entrance to Yarmouth Harbour was built in 1962 replacing the first light built in 1840. The keeper’s house was constructed in 1912 replacing an earlier home. The era of the lighthouse keeper came to an end at Cape Forchu in 1994, and the house now serves as a pictorial museum/information centre run by the Friends of the Light Society. The Yarmouth Light has a long history as a welcome beacon to mariners and it continues as a favorite spot for Yarmouthians and visitors alike. It is a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark”.

Price: $14.95

Yarmouth Town Hall

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

The bronze plaque on the front of the building reads as follows:

Yarmouth Town Hall
Dedicated June 9, 1993
Mayor – Charles Crosby, C.D.
Council
Deputy Mayor – S. Clifford Hood, Q.C.
Esther Dares    Victor Eldridge, C.D.
Gary Leach    James Stockman
Kenneth Wheelens
Town Clerk / Treasurer – Raymond E. Gallant
Solicitor – Gregory M. Warner
Contractor – Delmar Construction Limited
Architect – Anwyll Fogo Architects

The clock faces in the tower are from the old Post Office on the corner of  Main and John Streets where CIBC now stands.

 

Price: $14.95

Holy Trinity Anglican Church

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Holy Trinity Anglican Church at 61 William Street is the fourth Anglican church to have been built in Yarmouth. The cornerstone was laid on August 20, 1868. On August 4, 1872 the church was consecrated by the Right Rev’d Hibbert Binney, Lord Bishop of Nova Scotia. The Curate at the time, the Rev’d J. Roy Campbell, is credited for the church design. Father Campbell and the Rector, the Rev’d J.T.T. Moody, were influenced by the Oxford Movement (also known as the Anglo Catholic Revival) and the church’s design reflects that thinking. Cruciform in shape, a dignified sanctuary and chapel, high ceilings and lots of windows mark the influence of the Oxford Fathers and speak of the renewed interest in Gothic architecture that was in vogue at the time. Holy Trinity was the first non Roman Catholic church in Nova Scotia to display the Cross on the exterior of the building. The beautiful stained glass windows, the wooden carvings, and the abundant use of natural wood all add to the dignity and solemnity of the building and mark it as an outstanding example of church architecture.

Price: $14.95

St. Ambrose Cathederal

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

St. Ambrose Roman Catholic Church on Albert Street was begun in 1889 to replace the old St. Ambrose Church on Barnard Street. The first mass was held at midnight on Christmas Eve of 1889 in the basement and the church was formally dedicated on October 5, 1890 by Archbishop Cornelius O’Brien. The architect, J. C. Dumaresq, designed it in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. James E. Huestis of Yarmouth directed construction. Benjamin Ritchie, also of Yarmouth was responsible for the ornamentation. The parish priest was Fr. Edward J. McCarthy.

In 1908 the church was doubled in length from 75 to 150 feet: the back section of the church was moved backwards and two additional transepts were constructed. The left turret was originally much higher than the right – both have been shortened to be the same height.

Over the main alter is a magnificent stained glass window depicting the Ascension of Jesus. This was installed in 1927 and the other stained glass windows were installed from 1937 to 1953.

When the new Diocese of Yarmouth was created in 1953 St. Ambrose was chosen as its cathedral.

In 1995 the Parish of St. Ambrose celebrated its 150th anniversary.

Price: $14.95

Zion United Baptist Church

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Zion United Baptist Church, originally called the First Baptist Church, was built to replace the church on Main Street located near where the Cenotaph now stands. On July 18, 1895 the cornerstone was laid and on June 17, 1896 the church was dedicated. The pastor was Rev. J. H. Foshay.

The church was built by James E. Huestis of Yarmouth in “Modern Composite” style. Over the years the large rose windows and the stained glass windows were donated by parishioners as memorials to loved ones.

From 1906 on when the Baptists and Free Baptists united, the church was known as Zion United Baptist Church.

It was this congregation which in the nineteenth century helped establish several Baptist churches in Yarmouth Town and County, thus Zion United Baptist Church is regarded as the mother church of the area. In 1997 the congregation celebrated its 200th anniversary.

Price: $14.95

Bell Pull

Once you begin to collect these magnificent ornaments, you’ll need a great place to show them off!

Burgundy or Green
$60.00 cdn wihout ornaments (specify length in your order)
$200.00 cdn with 11 ornaments

Price: $60.00

Glass Stands

Once you begin to collect these magnificent ornaments, you’ll need a great place to show them off!

Royal Blue, Green or Clear
$9.95 cdn

Price: $9.95