Yarmouth, N.S. Pewter Ornaments

Milton Clock Tower

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Erected in 1911 at a cost of $1200.00, the original Milton Clock was donated by Mrs. Robert Caie. The mechanical works of the clock were manufactured by J. Smith and Sons, Midland Clock Works, Derby, England. Located in the tower at Milton Engine Company fire station, the clock was a local landmark until the station was destroyed by fire in 1989. The original clockworks were damaged in the fire. The clock in this contemporary tower located on Water Street, Yarmouth, N.S. towards the head of Yarmouth Harbour contains the original painted metal clock faces salvaged from the fire. These have been mounted in front of an electronic movement. The clock hands are replicas of the hands used with the original clockworks. The community name Milton originates from the presence of a cluster of water-powered grist, saw, and carding mills situated where Lake Milo empties into Yarmouth Harbour. Source: interpretative panel, Milton Clock Tower-Park

Price: 15.95

Milton Horse Fountain

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Located at the corner of Main Street and Vancouver Street in the north end of Yarmouth known as Milton, the fountain was commissioned by Clara Killam, a Yarmouth resident, and designed by J.L. Mott of New York.  The cast iron fountain was installed on May 20, 1893.  Originally it had two drinking troughs for horses and cattle with four smaller troughs lower down for smaller animals.   For thirsty passers-by there were attached cups with drinking faucets where water flowed continuously from the mouths of molded dogs heads.

Today, more than a century later, flowers are planted in the troughs by the Milton Improvement Society which takes great pride in the care of the fountain – a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark“.

Price: 15.95

Murray Manor

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

This home in the English Cottage style with Gothic and Classical features was named after Ann and James Murray who lived there from 1854 to 1899. Ann’s uncle, George Bond, built it sometime between 1825 and 1832.

It has a bell-hipped roof and lovely Gothic windows on the first floor with prayer windows above (so low one has to kneel to see out).

In recent years it has been maintained as a bed and breakfast. It is one of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia’s landmarks.

Price: 15.95

Old Yarmouth Light (Cape Forchu Light)

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

The Old Yarmouth Light at Cape Forchu was built in 1839 and lit January 15, 1840. The red and white octagonal tower housed a plain revolving light which in 1908 was replaced bya classic Fresnel lens (now on display at the Yarmouth County Museum). The lens was floated in a vat of mercury and rotated by weights on the principle of a Grandfather clock. The weights had to be wound every three hours during the night and the rotation blocked in the morning by bolts inserted in the mechanism.

The source of the light was first a kerosene lamp, then a pressurized vapor lamp, and finally electricity generated in the lighthouse station itself. Herbert Cunningham Sr., the light keeper from 1922 to 1952, found a vapor lamp good when it worked, but the light hard to maintain. It had to be watched carefully as it would go out at times. He estimated that in his time as light keeper he climbed the tower stairs at least 47,000 times. The light shone 15 – 20 miles out to sea.

The Old Light was replaced in 1962 by the modern structure. Both have been major tourist attractions and “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmarks”.

Price: 15.95

Pompey Dick

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

On June 9, 1761, the shallop “Pompey Dick” sailed into the Chebogue River from Sandwich, Cape Cod with the first English settlers: Ebenezer Ellis, Sealed Landers and Moses Perry. Two days later Jonathan Crosby and Joshua Burgess arrived from Connecticut. Later in the summer Elishama Eldridge and seven other families arrived from various New England locations.
The Pompey Dick landed at Crawley’s Island. Perry remained there while Ellis moved further down the river to today’s Chebogue Point. Landers went up the harbour at Cape Forchu and set up a mill at the head of the harbour, the present day Milton. Other families that arrived settled at the mouth of Perry’s River to the end of the Wyman Road.
The first winter was harsh and the settlers survived with the help of the Mi’kmaq. The land they were settling on in Chebogue had belonged to a small Acadian settlement that had been settled in 1736. Very little is known of the settlement.
The first meeting of the Township of Yarmouth was held on June 15th, 1763. All who had settled were invited to make formal application for their land. The Council carefully established the township and assigned the land grants.

 

Price: 15.95

Sandford Drawbridge

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a brief history of the landmark.

Around 1915 in the small fishing community of Sandford, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia the entrance to the inner harbour boat hole was widened to admit ten foot wide boats. The boat hole is a shelter for boats and is only accessible at high tide. It was at this time that a drawbridge was built replacing the old footbridge over the entrance. Over the years this tiny drawbridge in its picturesque setting has become a major attraction for the area.

The Shore road had crossed a culvert between the boat hole and an inner tidal pond until the road was washed out c. 1947. It was at this entrance to the pond where the drawbridge was moved in 1984 and the passages were widened to allow for the 14to 18 foot wide boats. The pond was the nused for boat repair. The drawbridge is accessed on each side by stairs which raise it so it only has to be opened for the tallest of the boats. The stairs also allow the drawbridge section itself to remain the same length as in its old location. The Sandford Drawbridge, often referred to as “TheWorld’s Smallest Drawbridge”, is a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark”.

Price: 15.95

Sealed Landers Mill Stone

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a brief history of the landmark.

This monument is situated at Milton in the north end of Yarmouth at the entrance to a string of three lakes. It is built of two millstones and the upright one bears a bronze plaque inscribed with the following: Sealed Landers first settler of the town of Yarmouth June 9, 1761 brought this stone from Sandwich Massachusetts and placed it in a grist mill which he erected on this site. This tablet was placed here by his descendants June 9, 1935

The mill property continued under Landers family ownership until 1861 when it became the Pioneer Mills producing cornmeal and flour under the new operators, Charles and John Beuler. By now a dam had been built nearby. In 1864 Samuel Killam bought the mill when other mills were making business slow and it was in disrepair. In 1919 the Town of Yarmouth bought the land to maintain their water power and in 1935 the property became a park. It is a Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark.

Price: 15.95

Seamen’s Memorial Monument

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Located at the Yarmouth Bar on the way to Cape Forchu and the Yarmouth Light this monument sits on Fish Point, a favorite vantage point for viewing ships and boats coming in and out of Yarmouth harbour.
A bronze plaque on the monument reads:

ON THIS, THE SITE OF THE
FIRST LAUNCHING IN THE COUNTY,
1764, THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED
IN PROUD MEMORY OF
ALL THE SEAFARING SONS
OF YARMOUTH COUNTY
WHO “GOING DOWN TO THE SEA
IN SHIP”, BY THEIR OUTSTANDING
SEAMANSHIP AND VALOUR,
BROUGHT UNDYING HONOUR
TO YARMOUTH
IN EVERY PORT AROUND
THE WORLD.
Erected by the
Yarmouth County Historical
Society, 1961

The monument continues to be maintained by the Yarmouth Historical Society and is a Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark.

 

Price: 15.95

St. Ambrose Cathederal

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

St. Ambrose Roman Catholic Church on Albert Street was begun in 1889 to replace the old St. Ambrose Church on Barnard Street. The first mass was held at midnight on Christmas Eve of 1889 in the basement and the church was formally dedicated on October 5, 1890 by Archbishop Cornelius O’Brien. The architect, J. C. Dumaresq, designed it in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. James E. Huestis of Yarmouth directed construction. Benjamin Ritchie, also of Yarmouth was responsible for the ornamentation. The parish priest was Fr. Edward J. McCarthy.

In 1908 the church was doubled in length from 75 to 150 feet: the back section of the church was moved backwards and two additional transepts were constructed. The left turret was originally much higher than the right – both have been shortened to be the same height.

Over the main alter is a magnificent stained glass window depicting the Ascension of Jesus. This was installed in 1927 and the other stained glass windows were installed from 1937 to 1953.

When the new Diocese of Yarmouth was created in 1953 St. Ambrose was chosen as its cathedral.

In 1995 the Parish of St. Ambrose celebrated its 150th anniversary.

Price: 15.95

The Old Academy

Each pewter ornament (2 3/8″ dia.) is dated and identified on the reverse and comes with a card giving a history of the landmark.

Built in 1831 in the Greek Revival style the Academy continued as a school until 1864. Originally it had a belfry and a two-story highportico supported by four Doric pillars. The pillars were probably removed when it was moved closer to the street in 1864 and was incorporated into the Moody’s Corner business district. About 20years later it was made into apartments and served as such for about 100 years. In 1993-’94 it was bought and restored by the Town of Yarmouth and housed the VON. It was later sold and became the Academy Tea Room. The Academy at 113 Main Street is one of the oldest surviving school buildings in Canada. This handsome building is a “Yarmouth, N.S. Landmark”.

Price: 15.95